CONFESSIONS OF A PREACHER'S WIFE

Conversations between a preacher's wife and God. Conversations here are offered as composites of various struggles facing minister's wives in general. This blog acts as a mirror into the mind of various trials faced by ministers' wives I've met along my journey as a pastor's wife of 26 years. Any statements used here are purely coincidental to anyone specifically. Once posted and printed all material is [copyrighted by SelahV, 2006].

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

WILL THE REAL ME REMOVE THE MASK?

Oh Lord, it's that time again. Every time the doorbell rings tonite I'll be greeted by ghouls, ghosts, American Idol stars and princesses. Each wear those clumsey masks that cover their true identity. What?

Well, yes, I do wear masks. Why? Well, uh, because I don't want people to know who I am, I guess. Or maybe because who I am isn't as good as the person I try to be behind the mask. What do I mean?

Let's see. How do I answer that? Be specific. Hmmn. Okay. I try to be the best friend I can be, but behind my mask I want to tell her the truth. That I am lazy. I'm not at all as nice as she thinks. Nor have I gotten my house all spic and span, like she did, before coming to lunch today. Behind my mask is the lie that I am better organized, less impatient at redlights, than I actually am. And to be honest I'm not totally resting in you, Lord, for Dex to get that new church position.

AND?

Okay, Lord. Annnnd, I know the mask I wear is a lie. I should be honest with my friends. Must everyone know the real me? That I don't always have the right answers? Must they?

Well, I suppose You are right, Lord. Deception of any sort can build unstable bridges. I shall try to examine myself a bit closer when You and I meet in our quiet time. Do help me, Lord, to remove my masks. My hands are so busy doing other things sometimes, I forget to reach up and take it off. I see. Just don't put it on anymore? Now, Lord, that would take a miracle. Huh? Oh yeah. I do remember the Red Sea and the Resurrection. Guess You can handle my little bitty mask. Thanks for the reminder. I love you, Lord. I really do. dani lee

5 Comments:

At 7:11 AM , Blogger peter lumpkins said...

DaniLee

Well, well. Another great little post. Suggestion, DaniLee. Were I you, I would get the editor's name and email info of the Okie Baptist paper and send these little posts to him/her (or at least the link).

I think you have a great opportunity to eventually break in. Your stories are "homey", honest and what I would call confrontation through the back door. You are gifted, DaniLee.

Grace. With that, I am...

Peter

 
At 6:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peter: Thank you so much for your kind words. I will check into that. Thank you for stopping by. I pray the Lord bless your day.
Dani Lee

 
At 8:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That could be me , anybody. " I'm not at all as nice as she thinks. Nor have I gotten my house all spic and span, like she did, before coming to lunch today." That was good. You must have laid awake all night thinking about that one. I loved it. Keep writing, they are good. Many Blessings on you SalahV, BJ.

 
At 7:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post Dani Lee! If only we could all remove our masks and just be real with each other. What a relief that would be.

I agree with Peter, you are very gifted.

 
At 9:22 PM , Blogger SelahV said...

ThisIsTheDay: Unfortunately, we probably will never be able to fully be able to remove our masks. Our pride gets in the way. We all seem to want others to see the best of us. We don't want people to know the complete person we are. At least I don't. I don't like all of me. From experience, I know that the more vulnerable we make ourselves to others, the greater the risk in being hurt. None of us enjoy being hurt. Blessings to you, selahV

 

Post a Comment

<< Home