CONFESSIONS OF A PREACHER'S WIFE

Conversations between a preacher's wife and God. Conversations here are offered as composites of various struggles facing minister's wives in general. This blog acts as a mirror into the mind of various trials faced by ministers' wives I've met along my journey as a pastor's wife of 26 years. Any statements used here are purely coincidental to anyone specifically. Once posted and printed all material is [copyrighted by SelahV, 2006].

Saturday, November 04, 2006

A DREAM IS A WISH MY WHISK MAKES

I don’t want to throw it away, Lord. Hmmmn? Oh, my whisk. It has a broken wire. Sorry about that. I was thinking out loud again.

Yes, I know it is old. And I went to the store and bought a new one. It’s coated with this rubber or plastic stuff to keep it from nicking my pans. Those pans are quite sensitive, you know. And this old whisk is a bit rusty in places. I should probably toss it out. Huh?

Well, yes, Lord, it has served me well all these years. Chili, gravy, scrambled eggs, spaghetti sauce, Alfredo sauce, cream sauce. Not to mention cake batters and puddings when my electric mixer broke. Sometimes modern conveniences just don’t hold up, Lord. The power goes off in storms right in the middle of my banana pudding preparation. So that old wire whisk has really been a life-saver if you know what I mean. What?

Yes, Lord. I do like the new one I have. I made the best cream of broccoli soup yesterday with it. So why don’t I want to throw out the old whisk?

Because, Lord. There’s only one wire that is broken in two. And even with that broken wire, all the other wires work just fine. They still mix up the flour, salt and cocoa powder as good as ever when I make up my preacher’s oatmeal cookies that Margaret Pollock gave me the recipe for in our first pastorate. And then when I mixed in the milk and added the butter, well as soon as the heat was raised a hair, that whisk did a great job bringing it all together in a boil. Even though it did have that broken wire. Huh?

Why did I buy a new whisk if my old one worked fine? Well, I’m sorry, Lord. I guess this is where I need to confess my pride issue. That new one looks so much prettier in my cutlery crock. When folks come visiting, it will look so much nicer. And they’ll be impressed with my lovely neat, orderly countertop assembly. The color is much cheerier and... Excuse me, say again….?

No, Lord. I don’t think I can throw out the old whisk. I’ll just tuck it inside my junk drawer. I know it’s there. And it is my back up. Just in case someone comes in and steals that new one that looks so pretty. And yes, Lord. I will work on that pride issue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home